One of the best things about living in California, is the abundant fresh produce available year round. So what if we regularly have brush fires, earthquakes and such. We have delicious fresh fruits and vegetables while we repair our homes! Recently I was near a strawberry growing region, so naturally I stopped at a roadside truck to buy some berries that were picked that very day. I bought an entire flat to share with my daughter’s Godmother, who was watching her while I was gone. That was quite a deal, I must say. A few strawberries for a day of kid sitting. My daughter loves strawberries almost as much as she loves bacon. Almost. I don’t think she’d run down an old lady for strawberries, but I know she would for bacon! Old ladies everywhere beware. . . I was able to somehow keep enough strawberries away from the kid to make a versatile strawberry dessert sauce, which can be used for a number of things. There are only four ingredients, strawberries, sugar, white wine and allspice. And its a perfect way to use up strawberries that are not quite as fresh as they once were. I don’t mean rotten, but when they stop being shiny and start looking tired, this is the sauce recipe for you. Kind of like when I stop looking so shiny and start looking tired, wine always works for me too! Stay tuned for a surprising recipe using this sauce!
Recipe: Strawberry Wine Dessert Sauce
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries, large dice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar or 1/2 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In large saucepan, mix the strawberries, wine, sugar and allspice.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat slightly and boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and cool completely.
- Refrigerate the sauce until ready to use.
- Makes about 4 cups of sauce.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) Cooking time: 10 minute(s)