I never know when inspiration will strike me. I was cruising down the aisles of Sprouts, one of my new favorite stores, and came upon some tortilla crumbs. What? I have never heard of tortilla crumbs, but Sprouts is stocked with all sorts of products for people who need to eat a gluten free diet. “Hmmmmm?” thought I. What could I make with tortilla crumbs?
Maybe tortilla crumb breaded fish or shrimp or chicken? Toast the crumbs and sprinkle over a bowl of soup? No, too ordinary. Oh all right, meatloaf is pretty ordinary too, but not when you add tortilla crumbs and Mexican spices!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, small dice
- 1 large red bell pepper, small dice
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferable Mexican, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 1/2 cup tortilla crumbs
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds ground pork
Prep time: 10 mins Cook time: 1 hour 20 mins Total time: 1 hour 30 mins Yield: 1 meatloaf