Ice cream. Such a gloriously rich, creamy, calorie dense treat, loved by young and old alike. Actually it is the prefect food for the very young and very old, as you do not need teeth to eat it, right?
This ultra rich version features fresh mango and ginger root, a perfect pairing of tropical flavors.
When I buy mangoes, I rarely do anything with them but peel them and eat them. I often don’t even cut them! Peel and bite, no muss, no fuss! At Camp Blogaway 2012, I was given a case of mangoes by the National Mango Board, so I could eat some and play with them too! Obviously, playing for me means playing with food.
One of the things I did was develop this Mango-Ginger Ice Cream, since I live in a house of ice cream lovers. And mango lovers. Seemed logical.
Recipe: Mango-Ginger Ice Cream
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup raw cane (turbinado) sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups mango puree
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- In a saucepan, scald the heavy cream and half and half.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt.
- When the cream mixture is hot, add a small amount to the yolk mixture, being sure to whisk constantly. Slowly whisk in the remaining cream, then place the bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisking constantly, heat the cream and egg mixture, until thickened enough to lightly coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer into another bowl. Cool the custard completely in an ice bath.
- When the custard is cooled, stir in the vanilla, mango puree and ginger.
- Following the instructions on your ice cream maker, freeze the ice cream.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Kenya Mangoes says
Wow! i love recipe. Looks delicious
Dorothy at ShockinglyDelicious says
We love mangoes, and I look forward to trying this in my new ice cream maker! Mmmmm…and I love your cute bowl! Its cousin sits in my cabinet, and I eat cereal out of it every morning. 🙂
Chef and Steward says
So creamy and delicious! Lovely! Absolutely lovely! Pinned. Missing Jamaica with this post!
KarmaFree Cooking says
love the mango/ginger combination!!!!