One good meat sauce is all you need. This is that sauce.
OK, there are a million fantastic meat sauce recipes out there. But this is mine. And I like it.
I hope you do too.
Recipe: Italian Sausage Ragu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes in sauce
- 1 cup water
- In a large skillet, over medium high flame, heat the olive oil, and brown the sausage.
- Remove the sausage from the skillet and reserve.
- Add the onion, cook 3 – 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, thyme, basil, salt, fennel seed and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 – 2 minutes, until the garlic and spices are fragrant.
- Add the can of tomatoes, including the juice, and the water.
- Using the spoon, break up the tomatoes.
- Return the sausage to the pan.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, them reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the sauce for about 30 – 40 minutes, until the flavors have developed.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Copyright © Cheryl D Lee.
I need that sauce! Already had dinner, but I want this!
[email protected] says
A damn good sauce will take you far in life, and this sauce looks like it fits the bill.