Turkeys and I are good friends. Well, friends in the sense that I love to eat them up. So maybe frenemies is the better term, but either way I love turkey.
From Succulent Spiced Turkey Carnitas,
to Mini Brie Stuffed Turkey Burgers,
and Cherry Chipotle Glazed Turkey Meatballs,
it is obvious I am a fan of the All American bird. Did you know Benjamin Franklin proposed the turkey as the symbol of America? The bald eagle won that battle, but its always nice to be nominated.
My latest recipe featuring turkey is an amazingly flavorful and easy Spicy Turkey Stuffed Poblano Peppers. Think of those stuffed bell peppers your grandma used to make, but so, so much better!
Turkey is a very mild meat that lends itself to so many different flavor profiles. Poblano peppers are a mildly spicy chile, that is most often recognized as the pepper used in the Mexican dish Chile Relleno. For this recipe, I chose to season ground turkey with a myriad of spices before stuffing and baking it in the halved chiles. While the recipe is simple, the results are not!
I am working with the National Turkey Federation to promote awareness about how versatile and delicious turkey is. Don’t just think about turkey at Thanksgiving, consider it a meat to buy year round. Not only is is easy to cook, it is considerably lower in fat than many other meats and tastes fantastic.
The National Turkey Federation supports its farmers to raise well-treated turkeys in comfortable settings that are environmentally safe and that by doing so raise the tastiest turkey. By providing all the information retail and restaurant professionals need to raise awareness educate and inspire people to try an unexpected, healthy and flavorful lean protein – turkey.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Pepitas, or roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 4 poblano peppers, halved, seeds removed
- Sliced jack cheese (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the turkey, shallots, pepitas, salt, thyme, cumin, coriander and chipotle.
- Using clean hands, throughly mix all the ingredients together.
- Place the poblano pepper halves into an 11 X 9 baking dish,
- Divide the turkey mixture between the peppers.
- Gently press the turkey into each pepper, evenly distributing the meat.
- An optional garnish is sliced mild cheese. If using place the cheese on top of the turkey.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the dish and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until the turkey is nicely browned.
- Serve immediately.
I’ve given you five excellent turkey recipes but for additional recipes, tips, videos and resources on turkey, visit the Serve Turkey website.
You can also find great information and recipes on the Serve Turkey Facebook page as well as the Serve Turkey Twitter account.
We’re huge turkey fans! Especially in the summer when you don’t want anything too heavy! These recipes are wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I can’t wait to try them!
Oh how delicious! LOVE poblanos and all of these sound so good. (Love the frenemies joke, too 😉 )
Priscilla | ShesCookin.com says
I love poblano’s! And I’m liking the flavor profile of your turkey stuffing, too 🙂
Dorothy at Shockingly Delicious says
cumin, coriander, chipotle? Sign me up for this dinner!
I love turkey so I am excited to try these recipes!
Erika Kerekes says
This is going on my to-do list RIGHT NOW! I’m thinking they would be delicious with a little drizzle of Cherry Chipotle Not Ketchup…or maybe Tangerine Hatch Chile? I can’t decide… 🙂
Anne|Craving Something Healthy says
I love all of these flavors! Especially the pepitas! Can’t wait to try this 🙂