They’re called Breakfast Potato Skins, but I could eat these anytime. Buttery baked potato with crumbled bacon mixed in, topped with an egg with a slightly runny yolk. Simple, just a few ingredients and so good.
These potato skins are not limited to just these ingredients though. You can mix in an almost endless variety of chopped meats and vegetables.
Some possibilities include:
- sauteed greens, such as spinach, kale or chard
- chopped broccoli
- crumbled sausage
- vegetarian meat crumbles
- fresh herbs
- chopped fresh chile peppers
- chopped fresh sweet peppers
The only limit is your taste buds.
Recipe: Breakfast Potato Skins
- 2 medium russet potatoes, 8-9 ounces each, baked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the potato, leaving about a 1/4 inch in the skin so it holds its shape.
- Place the potato into a medium bowl with the butter, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients well, then spoon the mixture back into the potato skins.
- Press the mixture into the skins, leaving a deep indentation in the center for the egg.
- Place the filled potato skins onto a baking sheet.
- Crack one egg at a time into a small bowl, then carefully pour the egg into a potato skin.
- Place the potato skins into the oven and bake for 20 – 23 minutes, or until the white is set.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)