I love technology, but sometimes it doesn’t like me. And I guess if I was my old organized, super efficient self than this would not be a problem. But sometime after giving birth I lost all my ability to organize, think rationally and sometimes my common sense.
Usually when I am developing recipes I have my laptop in the kitchen with me, and I type it out as I go. My instructions are usually ultra-abbreviated, but that is how I was taught to write recipes in a busy professional kitchen. I translate them into actual sentences later for the general public.
For some reason, on the day I was making these lamb chops I did not have my laptop, so I scribbled out the basic recipe on a shopping list pad. And then I left the piece of paper on the counter, where cats, kids and old ladies all had the chance to throw my recipe away! See what I mean about common sense. . .
Luckily I found the paper, and though I still did not have my laptop, I was smart enough to make it a note in my iphone. And I threw away that scrap of paper. Life went on, more recipes were developed and I forgot all about my poor little lamb chops.
While editing a ridiculous amount of photographs I came upon my lamb chops! Yay, I thought, let me get these up on the blog right away! And then I could not find the recipe. I frantically looked for that piece of paper everywhere! No recipe. Was it in my “Recipes being Tested” folder? No. Was it in my Evernote recipe file? No. Was it in my Microsoft word recipe file? No. Sigh. . . I began to think I might have to recreate the recipe again.
Then one day while looking through the notes on my phone, low and behold I found my recipe! Lesson learned, do not start a new recipe without my laptop handy or at least a dedicated recipe notebook!
So without further ado, here is the delicious Braised Curry Lamb Chops and Potatoes!
Recipe: Braised Curry Lamb Chops and Potatoes
- 6 lamb loin chops
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 pounds small waxy potatoes, such as red or yukon gold, cut into quarters
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- Place the lamb chops onto a large plate.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons of the curry powder and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Spread the curry paste over the entire surface of the lamb chops.
- Let the chops marinate at least one hour to overnight.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat.
- Brown the lamb chops well on both sides, then remove to a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add the sliced onion, remaining curry powder, sea salt and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is softened and the spices are fragrant.
- Pour in the broth, and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any bit crusted on.
- Add the lamb chops and potatoes, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Braise the lamb for 20-25 minutes, or until the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6