When I lived in New York, occasionally (OK, at least once a week) I would stop by my favorite pizza joint for a sausage roll. Inside the dough would be Italian sausage, peppers, onion, pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. Think of it as a pizza slice rolled up on itself. Now that I am back in California, you don’t find them as easily. In fact, I don’t think I’ve had one since I got back! Oh the horror!
When I began developing recipes for Foodbuzz Family Bites I thought about making a pizza roll. But then that idea began to morph into something similar, yet distinctly different. Since these were to be family friendly recipes, I needed to make something that would come together easily, but still be a meal your family would want again and again.
Newman’s Own, which sponsors Family Bites, was my starting point. I was sent some product samples to develop recipes with, but the product I used for this recipe was one I bought myself. I really like their Black Bean and Corn Salsa, and thought it would be very tasty in a baked roll. So once again, my idea morphed and began to get a more “South of the Border” feel.
This is basically a four ingredient (not counting spices) recipe, and would be great to make with your kids. Prefer ground beef? Use it. Have some shredded chicken in the fridge? Use it. Vegetarian? Dice up some tofu, toss it with the spices, and follow the rest of the recipe.
If you’re having a cocktail party serve this and watch your guests gobble it up! They taste great whether you’re 4 or 40.
Baked Mexi-Cal Turkey Roll
1 pound ground turkey
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp dried oregano
2 cans (8 ounce) refrigerated crescent roll seamless dough sheet
1 cup Newman’s Own Black Bean and Corn salsa
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, salt, red pepper, cumin and oregano until well browned. Cool slightly.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll the crescent roll dough onto the baking sheets.
- Spoon half the turkey lengthwise on the dough sheet, placing it towards one edge. Spoon ½ cup Newman’s Own Black Bean and Corn Salsa down the length of the turkey, then top with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layering on the other dough sheet.
- Carefully fold the dough over the filling, tucking the edge under. Press down on the ends to seal them, and tuck the sealed ends under.
- Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Slice and serve with additional salsa for dipping.