I missed Cinco de Mayo last year. All because of a cat, a snake and a visit to the emergency room. You can read all about it here.
This year, I decided to repost my recipe for Achiote-Orange Carnitas on Cinco de Mayo. I just feel that this recipe needs to be published the day it was meant to be published! Of course it is delicious any day of the year, so make it often!
- 3 pounds country style pork ribs
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon achiote paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon aleppo pepper
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat or vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 2 pounds carnitas